125 years of MAGURA history, from the gear rack for steering columns – still a symbol in the company’s logo today – to the manufacture of state-of-the-art electronics and high-tech plastics developed in-house. For decades now, MAGURA has been a reliable manufacturer for the motorcycle and bicycle industry and in recent years has been a driving force behind the new and cutting-edge e-mobility. Gustav Magenwirth, born in Bad Urach in 1866, would probably greet this development with a proud smile. He was known as an inventor and thinker who was always far ahead of his time. In his early years, he showed himself to be as flexible as MAGURA is today, on the occasion of its anniversary 125 years after it was founded.
An apprentice and later employee of Karl Benz, Magenwirth later became a manufacturer of engines, hydraulic pumps, plastics as well as motorcycle & bicycle components. Gustav Magenwirth invented one of the milestones in the company’s history, the straight-pull control lever blade for motorcycles, which led to a cooperation with BMW in the motorcycle sector that still exists today. The combination oftradition and progress at MAGURA is characterised by the fact that Gustav Magenwirth’s family home is now used as the headquarters of the holding company MAGENWIRTH Technologies in Bad Urach.
Magenwirth and his daughters Julie, Martha and Klara were always forward looking, even during difficult periods in the company’s history, especially during the Great Depression of 1928 and in the years until the end of the Second World War. Their husbands and their sons, e.g. Eugen Munz and Werner Auch, also drove the company forward. Fabian Auch, great-grandson of Gustav Magenwirth, is now the fourth generation of the family to be represented in the company. MAGURA always thinks ahead, creating innovative ideas for e-mobility and continuously developing existing components such as an electronically-controlled seatpost and product collaborations with other companies of MAGENWIRTH Technologies.
The Performance has been redesigned
In 1957, MAGURA took over a plastic injection moulding shop for the development of its own products and sophisticated designs. Today MAGURA produces in the state-of-the-art factory in Hülben, near Bad Urach, where the Carbotecture® and
Carbotecture SL® materials are developed and manufactured in-house. At the Hengen plant, 130 employees produce bicycle brakes, motorcycle components and industrial parts. Sister company Bebro electronics is less than half an hour’s drive from Bad Urach and provides the technical know-how for electronic assemblies, devices and systems.
MAGURA now divides its business activities into four important segments: Bike, Powersports, Controls and Composite. Over the last 30 years, MAGURA has transformed itself from a newcomer in the bike sector with the invention of the first hydraulic bicycle brakes in 1987 to a technology leader in the industry. High-tech components are manufactured from materials developed and produced in-house and are successfully used in the test winner brakes of the MT series. Historical milestones included innovations like the first electronic suspension fork adjustment ‘eLECT’, which was presented as a world innovation in 2013. In recent years, MAGURA has increasingly been involved in the electrification of the bike sector. In 2016, the world’s first wirelessly adjustable seatpost – the VYRON eLECT – set new standards, becoming a highly successful product on the cycle market.